Fall recipe alert! Who loves baked apples!? Check out Chef Aubrey's gluten & dairy-free version below.
Cook time: 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes inactive cook time
Yields: 4 servings
-4 apples (crisp, sweet apples like Honeycrisp, Gala, Fuji work best here, but you could use a green apple too)
-olive oil, salt to taste
-1/2 c maple syrup
-2 T lemon juice
-1 t cinnamon
-1/2 t allspice
-1/4 t nutmeg
Garnishes: Kitchfix Honey Pecan Grain- Free Granola or Kitchfix Maple Cinnamon Grain-Free Granola Bars, and mint
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Cut apples in half. Using a melon baller or grapefruit spoon, core out the center to remove the seeds.
3. Lightly toss apples with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place them face down on a parchment lined sheet tray.
4. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. In a bowl, whisk maple syrup, lemon juice, and spices. Flip apples over and brush with maple mixture.
6. Put back in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender but not falling apart.
7. Meanwhile, gently reduce maple mixture on the stove until it is thick and syrupy. Be careful not to over-reduce or the maple with crystalize.
8. Place the apples in a bowl or on a plate. Top with chunks of Honey Pecan granola or crushed Maple Cinnamon Bars (we tried both - and couldn't decide which we loved more!).
9. Spoon warm spiced syrup over the apples and granola. Garnish with torn mint leaves OR a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!